Advance the national economy and well-being of both the citizens and the society through promoting excellence in the fields of engineering, applied sciences and technology, as well as by promoting the engineering profession and practice.
The main objectives:
- To create a platform for an effective cooperation among universities, research institutions and industry;
- To foster research and innovation in applied sciences, technology development;
- To guide the engineering education by providing policy advice and motivating young generations to become engineers;
- To provide independent and balanced expertise and insights of eminent engineers to advice the Government, institutions, organizations and enterprises;
- To strengthen engineering institutions and provide the voice of the engineering;
- To disseminate of the knowledge across different fields of engineering.
The AESS intensively interacts with society through the organization of conferences, round tables, seminars and the publication of monographs, and also through rendering position papers and proposing various initiatives and dialogues associated with the engineering- and technology-related challenges Serbia currently faces. Through its departments, scientific technical committees as well as through individual initiatives the Academy provides expert support in formulating various strategic documents for the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
Committees / Main working groups:
The AESS is governed by a Steering Committee, consisting of a Chair, Co-Chair, Secretary General and six members representing the departments of the Academy of Engineering Sciences of Serbia. The Steering Committee regularly meets once per month. Each year, the Academy organizes an Annual general assembly at which the annual report about the work of the Academy is delivered by the Steering Committee, the plan for the next year is adopted and awards are granted for outstanding engineering achievements and results.
The AESS performs its activities through six departments:
- Department of Biotechnical Engineering Sciences,
- Department of Civil Engineering Sciences,
- Department of Electrical Engineering Sciences,
- Department of Mechanical Engineering Sciences,
- Department of Mining and Geological Engineering Sciences, and
- Department of Technology, Metallurgy and Material Engineering Sciences.
Besides the departments, the activities of the Academy proceed through Scientific Technical Committees that are engaged in different multidisciplinary areas:
- Committee for National Technology Platforms – STC NTP
- Committee for Energy – STC E
- Committee for Food – STC F
- Committee for International Cooperation – STC IC
- Committee for Education – STC Edu
- Committee for Publications – STC Pub
Through its committee for National Technology Platforms, the Academy built a national system consisting of six individual technology platforms defining strategic directions for development and technology innovation in the fields of manufacturing, food, energy, transport, construction, and information-communication technologies for the period to 2020 and beyond.
- 14.02.2014 – An agreement on strategic cooperation between the company SIEMENS Serbia and AESS has been signed. This agreement is focused to the energy sector, especially renewable energy sources (SIEMENS Factory of Windmill Generators in Subotica, Serbia), industrial automation and innovation of production technologies and processes.
- 11.04.2014 – A Protocol on Cooperation has been signed between Serbian Chamber of Engineers (SCE) and the AESS, with a focus on cooperation and partnership in the domain of knowledge innovation of engineers (members of SCE), systematic enhancement of the link between science and engineering practice, the application of advanced manufacturing technologies in all sectors of Serbian industry and engineering, and advancement of educational programs for engineers.
- 29. 04. 2014 – Within the context of strengthening regional cooperation and especially intensifying bilateral scientific cooperation between Italy and Serbia (Italy is at the moment the leading foreign trade partner of Serbia within Europe) a conference has been held in Belgrade titled Italian-Serbian Collaboration Platform in Advanced Manufacturing Technologies. This event gathered more than 150 participants from Italy and Serbia and attracted a significant attention of media.
- 28.10.2014 – A conference has been held titled Serbia Forests and Sustainable Development, organized by AESS, Department of Biotechnical Sciences. The conference gathered about 100 participants from the domains of science, engineering practice and from other interested parties. An advice as well as conclusions from this meeting has been sent to the Ministry of Agriculture of Republic of Serbia.
- 14.10.2014 – An agreement has been signed between AESS and Serbian Ministry for Education, Science and Technology in the field of education of engineers.
- 02.12.2014 – At its annual meeting held in Brussels within Euro CASE annual assembly, the Euro CASE Board brought a positive decision about the AESS membership in Euro CASE. Thus the conditions have been met that from January 1, 2015 AESS becomes the 22nd member of the European Council of Academies of Applied Sciences, Technologies and Engineering.