- Jan. 2020: “Rethinking Academia – Funding scientific research” a workshop to question the current system of research funding and to discuss modern ways in which knowledge and innovation can be promoted fairly and efficiently.
- Mar. 2020: “Science&Art@School – Cultural Collisions” at the interface between Arts and Physics pupils reflect on the scientific and the artistic approach to the topic of particle physics.
- Mar. 2020: The 12th NanoTrust conference “AdMats – Advanced Materials” brings into focus the question of how new materials might influence our social life and the environment.
- Oct. 2020: Conference “Artificial Intelligence and Human Enhancement. Affirmative and Critical Approaches in the Humanities from Both Sides of the Atlantic”.
- Feb. 2020: Lecture “Predicting regulatory networks from first principles” given by Gašper Tkačik, Professor at IST Austria, at the award ceremony of the Ignaz L. Lieben-Prize of ÖAW.
- Sep. 2020: Lecture “The fairytale of E-Mobility without CO2 foot-print” given by Georg Brasseur, Professor at TU Graz and the ÖAW shows possible ways leaving the dilemma of transport economy behind.
High Level Grants
Researchers at the Institute of the Austrian Academy received ten new ERC-Grants in 2020:
2 Advanced Grants: Quantum Physics, Cell-Biology
2 Starting Grants: Particle Physics, History
1 Synergy Grant: Quantum Physics
5 Consolidator Grants: Demography, Molecular Medicine, Medieval
Research, Molecular Biotechnology, Tibetology