Founding date: 1997
Number of members: 240
Number foreign members: 21
Management and Staff: 5
Academy of Technical Sciences from Romania (ASTR) is the national forum of leading figures in the field of engineering, debate and promotion actions through the application of new knowledge to lead the progress of Romanian society. It is autonomous, non-governmental and apolitical, with a non-profit activity and is recognized as being of public utility.
The main directions are:
– To promote cooperation within the field of Engineering in Romania, in the European Countries and in other countries so as to ensure concentration of efforts in the resolution of technical, economical and social problems by the development of R&D activities
– To promote engineering education in accordance with the scientific progresses, better education and new skills, to increase the youth attractiveness for the engineering activities, physics and mathematics.
– To promote the understanding of new technologies among the authorities and the public to the benefit of society and industrial development in Romania.
– To promote some permanent contacts with the economic industrial sector, to increase the contribution of non-academic environment to the industrial development of Romania.
– The preservations of Romanian’s engineering heritage, contributions to the scientific world’s treasure.
– To build international relations in developing bi and multilateral projects, an active participation in the R&D European Programs.
– To support innovation and facilitate the transfer of technology, and understanding the role of engineering sciences as driver of the society.
– To support technical publication, organizing events and awards for scientifically outstanding work in the field of Engineering Sciences.
Committees / main working groups:
The leadership of ASTR is: The General Assembly, the Presidium and the Presidium Office
The General Assembly is composed by all the titular and correspondent members and is the supreme governing body.
The ASTR Presidium assures the leadership between the general assemblies and consists of: the President, the Vice-Presidents, the Secretary-General, the chairmen of departments and subsidiaries.
The Office Presidium consists of: the President, Vice – presidents and Secretary General and leads the ASTR Presidium between sessions, being constituted as executive and operative in achieving the tasks set by the Presidium.
The President represents ASTR in the national and international relationships and it is credit sequencer.
The activity takes place in the framework of the ten (10) sections whose profile is:
– Technical Mechanics
– Mechanical Engineering
– Electro-technique – Energetic
– Electronics – Automatic
– Informatics and Communications Technology, Computers, Telecommunications
– Constructions and Urbanism
– Transport Engineering
– Chemical Engineering
– Material Engineering
– Petroleum Engineering, Mines and Geonomy
In case of interdisciplinary topics, ad-hoc working groups are forming from members of various sections.
Examples of topics being subject to such working groups: non-conventional energy Romanian sources energy, petrochemicals and future approaches, re-industrialization, industrial, energy and the environment.
In the territory (Timisoara, Cluj and Iasi), the Academy has three branch of which develops policies and actions proposed by ASTR, but at the local level they develop other actions as well.
Working Group on forecasting earthquakes.
Academic Days of Technical Sciences Academy of Romania-International Conferences:
– Strategic Sinergies in the Black Sea Basin (October 6-7, 2017), partner: Ovidius University of Constanta;
– Energy and environment-major challenges of the 21st century (October 18th-19th, 2018), partner: Petroleum-Gas University of Ploiesti,
– The papers have been published in Proceedings.
– Best practice of interaction between academies and policymakers, Bucharest, October 16 th -17 th, 2017;
– Novel carbon capture and utilisation technologies, Bucharest, November 7, 2018;
– Technical Sciences Academy of Romania – short history and data, author: Mihai Mihăiță, 2017;
– Pages from the development of the industry of Romania, coordonator: Valeriu Jinescu; Heavy water produced in Romania, author: Mircea Turtureanu, 2017;
– The construction of the equipment, machines and installation for industrial processes, The construction of the engines,machines and means of transport, authors:Valeriu Jinescu, Ioan Avram, Stelian Necula, 2018;
– Journal of Engineering Sciences and Innovation (JESI), quarterly journal 2017-2018
– Awarding prizes for scientific papers, appeared in 2015; 2017.
– The establishment of ASTR subsidiary of Chisinau, Moldova Republic-2017.