Dame Ann DOWLING
Founding date: 1976
Number of members: 1489
Number foreign members: 103
Management and Staff: 63
Annual Budget: £20m
Financing and sources:
Government Support • 65%
Industry • 25%
Private funding • 10%
As Britain’s national academy for engineering, we bring together the country’s most eminent engineers from all disciplines to promote excellence in the science, art and practice of engineering.
4 Strategic Challenges 2011-2015:
– Drive faster and more balanced economic growth
– Foster better education and skills
– Lead the profession
– Promote engineering at the heart of society.
– Main decision making body is Council, headed by President.
– Main standing committees: Membership, Research and Secondment, Engineering Policy, Education and Training, Awards, International, Finance and Audit, External Affairs.
– Through multiple international programmes, the Academy has funded 169 partnerships with the UK across 14 countries and supported some 200 engineering entrepreneurs to commercialise their innovations. Most notably, some of our Africa Prize Alumni also met with the UK Prime Minister on the first visit to Sub-Saharan Africa in 5 years.
– The Academy launched, ‘This is engineering’, a social media advertising campaign aimed at young people aged 13-18 to change their perception of engineering. The first set of films have been viewed over 10 million times since launch in January 2018.
– The Academy is establishing an Engineering Policy Centre, launching at the end of January 2019, bringing together the Academy, Engineering Council, Engineering UK and the UK’s 38 Professional Engineering Institutions to provide a stronger engineering voice for policy in the UK.