Founding date: 1995
Number of members: 54
Number foreign members: 2
Management and Staff: 1
Annual Budget: 86.000 €
Financing and sources:
Government Support • 94%
Other • 6%
– To stimulate the acquisition of the top-level technical knowledge that provides the basis for technological progress and a balanced, sustainable development;
– To promote the role and influence of technical experts in society in general and when dealing with issues relating to the economy and development;
– To assess and give opinions on the conditions and development of technical sciences and disciplines, research and education;
– To discuss basic issues relating to innovations and the organisation of the economy with regard to technological development;
– To be involved in the formation of policies relating to research, technology and innovations;
– To propose measures for enhancing innovations, increasing the quality of research-and-development activities and fostering the transfer of research achievements and innovations to the economy;
– To be involved in forming the policy and the programmes of training technicians and engineers at all educational levels;
– To enhance international cooperation in its areas of operation;
– To promote the development and use of Slovenian terminology in the areas of technical sciences and disciplines;
– To produce regular and occasional publications;
– To organise and support national and international discussions, conferences, panels and other meetings in the areas of engineering and business;
– To present annual and occasional awards for exceptional achievements in the areas of engineering and business, promoting engineering activities;
– To carry out other tasks aimed at fostering the effectiveness of engineering activities and reinforcing the role of engineers in society.
The 2 main working groups of IAS are
– The Scientific – Research Group and,
– The Business – development Group.
The IAS has 3 boards
– Board of Higher Education and Research,
– Board of the Energy Sector and the Environment,
– Board of the Economy.
– “10th Anniversary of the Slovenian Academy of Engineering”: In June, IAS celebrated the 10th anniversary since it became National Academy established by a special law. Guest at the ceremony was the newly elected Honorary Member France Rode, founder of the HP35, the first scientific pocket calculator and main inventor of HP business
– “Counselling to State Institutions”: IAS cooperated with State Institutions by preparing the law for awarding engineering achievements, now equal to the awards for scientific achievements. IAS has also cooperated with the State Institutions in the twin-track railway project, in cooperation with other engineering organisations.
– “Understanding the Innovation Process and Sustainable development”: IAS continued a long-term analysis of the educational system in Slovenia, the analysis of Slovenia’s research, development and innovative achievements. It includes recommendations for improvement on these topics. The results of the analysis will be published in 2018.
– “Preparation of proposals about organisation of educational system in Slovenia”: IAS has together with external experts prepared proposals about organisation of educational system in Slovenia for higher education. Cooperating partners were the Ministry for Science and Education, Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Slovenia, universities and Engineering companies. The proposals should result in a new law on research, development and innovation in Slovenia.
– “Cooperation with SAPEA on the conference ” The Outreach Event: Novel Carbon Capture and Utilisation Technologies: Research and Climate Aspects””: IAS together with the National Institute of Chemistry have hosted the conference in cooperation with SAPEA. A working group of experts has prepared a report about under what circumstances CCU for production of fuels, chemicals and materials can deliver climate benefits and what are their total climate mitigation potential in the mid- and long-run.
– “Promotion of engineering”: IAS has prepared different activities for promotion of engineering and status of engineers in Slovenia. In 2018, first national achievement award has been presented upon the new law that IAS has presented to the Ministry for Science and Education. Two members of IAS have been awarded.