01 Mai MEGATRENDS – The forces likely to shape work, employment and society in Ireland to 2040 and beyond
Irish Academy of Engineering (IAE) 2023
Voltaire said the present is pregnant with the future and this is surely true of the intersecting forces, plans and events or “trends” that will shape Ireland’s society and economy over the medium term (2040 plus). The likely effects of some of these trends are already evident and others still have to reveal themselves more fully. In addition to the trends factors such as our current base of employment, existing national and sectoral plans as well as natural aspirations for a better society will all likely have a bearing on the shape of the future Ireland…
- 1.1 Introduction
- 1.2 Ireland’s Current Business Model
- 1.3 Are We Over or Under-Educated?
- 1.4 Irish Government Macro-Planning
- 1.5 Global Megatrends
2. Exploring the MegaTrends
- 2.1 Decarbonisation and Climate Change
- 2.2 New Technology
- 2.3 The Fourth Industrial Revolution – Industry 4.0
- 2.4 The Circular Economy
- 2.5 Remote Working
3. Conclusions and Recommendations.